...Ponderings...

My thoughts on life, love, family, friends, and God.

 
A few weeks before my sister’s 24th birthday, I got the brilliant idea that I wanted to bake a cake for her. I wanted to do something special for her. She’s been a violinist for..ever. So I decided to fashion a violin out of fondant for her. But that wasn’t enough. I would cover the cake entirely in fondant. Still, that wasn’t enough. I would make the fondant from scratch!!!
 
Or so I thought.
 
The cake turned out so much better than expected:
 
100_3128









 








Although I can’t say much for the strings, I’m satisfied with the way the rest of the cake came out.

 

And then there was…

100_3121
Edible glitter!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
However, this isn’t exactly the way things went the whole time…
 
Here’s recipe from Bake at 350 on how to make homemade fondant.What followed after discovering that recipe was this…
 
 
I used two smaller bags of mini marshmallows. Mostly because that’s all the store had, but it was too much so I had to use just part of the second bag.
100_3086
(Afterthought- what do kites have to do with marshmallows??)
 
 
I then mixed it all together using a Kitchenaid stand-up mixer but that didn’t work really well so I used this. It was a spatula once.
100_3085

Then I got ready to knead the fondant.
100_3082
I’m not sure what the purpose of the Crisco was but the recipe called for it.

Voila. Finished fondant.
100_3083
Er. What have I got myself into now?

So I just used an old trick momma always taught me when my baking didn’t turn out quite right.
100_3372
Now that’s more like it.

Hey, it worked. Sis loved the cake.
100_3140

0 comments:

Post a Comment