...Ponderings...

My thoughts on life, love, family, friends, and God.

15: Switchfoot 1999

To be totally honest, I don’t remember a whole lot about this show! Switchfoot fans will probably want to disown me but I promise there IS a point!

I never was a huge SF fan but I have to admit, their earliest stuff was their best. Well every year, something they no longer do, my church used to bring out a band to play for the 4th of July which just so happens to be my birthday. On July 4th, 1999 I turned 15 years old. To be sure, it wasn’t any sort of landmark birthday but this concert made it quite memorable.

It rained and poured and the concert was supposed to be an outdoor one. The humidity was unbelievable, making it rather difficult to breath. My hair did look cute before I left the house but it grew in to a large frizz ball by the time we arrived at church. Either way, it was a total blast. My very best, closest group of friends was there and we all stood together during the concert. But it was the post concert events that stood out in my mind most of all.

There was an autograph signing in our church’s book store. I made the mistake of standing behind my sister and her friend, Stephanie, who decided it would be cute to inform the Switchfoots *as they signed their name in my journal* that it just so happened to be my 15th birthday. Well of course they couldn’t just say “happy birthday”. Oh no. They had to sing to me. In front of everyone. Suffice it to say, my face was a red as my blouse. To make matters worse, they recruited the entire audience to sing along with them. It was fun Tim Foreman decided to be funny and tied a red balloon to my wrist.

No one forgot that for a long time. I walked out of there with most of the congregation having heard and or witnessed the entire thing. But it was fun and a fantastic memory that I can store away. I do look back on that day with a lot of fondness, it was a good day and who else can really say that they were serenaded on their 15th birthday by Switchfoot?

That's it for the bottom 5! Stay tuned for the top 15.

0 comments:

Post a Comment