...Ponderings...

My thoughts on life, love, family, friends, and God.

14: Newsboys Love Liberty Disco 2000

This is one of my most memorable shows not because it was super special in particular but mostly because it was my first Newsboys show with my then best friend, Brandon. He and I were fairly inseparable in high school, especially at church. We were always hanging out together and it made his sister a little jealous, not that that’s really all that a musing.

Brandon was, and is still, a huge Newsboys fan. I’ve been a fan myself since I saw them in 1994 for the very first time, but nothing compared to Brandon. I think he’s the reason I really fell in love with them. So it was this concert where I became a really big fan of the band. Brandon and I had practiced time and again the dance from the LLD music video. We had it down pat, and I still remember most of the moves. We’d bought little disco ball necklaces which we spun around on our fingers during the show.

I couldn’t tell you much of what the set list was, only that Brandon being there with me made it so much better. Also, at the time, my brother was a huge fan. It was his very first Newsboys show. My sister was also there with us, but she’d been at the 1994 show with me and some friends of ours. Ahh to think, I had only been 10 years old when I saw them the first time!

You’re probably wondering now why this is one of my most memorable shows, it doesn’t have any really special story that goes along with it. I guess its just the nostalgia, the memories of being there with one of my dearest friends. Oh yeah and it does help that we both lost half of our disco balls when they came apart and flew on stage. Phil Joel stepped on one, he probably didn’t even see it.

I’ve seen the Newsboys many more times since then, in fact the most recent being just about 3 months ago! So I can say with all honesty that they are one about three bands I’ve been a fan of for about 15 years! The other two would probably be Petra and the Kry but neither fandom has had the staying power of the Newsboys. It’s rare that a band that’s been around since the 1980’s has remained as one of Christian music’s top selling artists.

0 comments:

Post a Comment