...Ponderings...

My thoughts on life, love, family, friends, and God.

In 2005, a film was released starring Kiera Knightly and it was a smash. The only problem is, this film claiming to be good adaptation of the Jane Austen novel was anything but. When I finally sat down to watch it, I found that the costumes were far from accurate, the acting was rotten, and it was a messy version of a beloved novel.

Such is the case with many a film adaptation of books. It’s a rare case when you see a film adaptation that is not only accurate, but good.

Take for instance the film “Gone With The Wind”. I can easily forgive the creators for it was made in 1939 and the films back then were rarely ever accurate in their costumes. However, when you read the book, you’re shocked to learn many things about the characters. For instance, did anyone who’s only seen the film know that Scarlett had three children? I doubt it.

Another one is the 2004 Andrew Lloyd Weber adaptation of Gaston Leroux’s “Phantom of the Opera”. Now, I can appreciate this film for the beautiful music, wonderful acting, and amazing singing, but really its not very close to the book at all. For one thing Gerard Butler is well, downright gorgeous. The phantom of the opera, Erik, had skin “like yellow parchment”, a hole in his face for a nose, and was so disgusting and frightening that he dared not ever remove his mask. He also wore a full facial mask in the book, something that understandably had to be cut from the stage show, but I see no reason he shouldn’t have had one in the film.

Now someone please tell me when it became ok to paraphrase books when putting them in movie form. Just once, I’d like to see a real accurate film adaptation of a book I’ve read.

I know there are still book purists out there, I wish they’d come out and protest these grossly paraphrased films. I’d really hate for anyone’s first impression of “Pride and Prejudice” to be the film starring Kiera Knightly or ALW’s Phantom to be anyone’s first impression of the famed Leroux novel.

Don’t get me wrong, I have seen some amazing adaptations. Take the 1995 BBC mini series of “Pride and Prejudice”. The costumes are lovely, the script is very nearly word for word from the book. And take a look at the 1925 version of “Phantom of the Opera” starring Lon Chaney. There could have been no better phantom than Lon was.
As I said before, I can appreciate a good film, no matter the original, but please someone don’t claim to be doing an accurate adaptation if it isn’t!

2 comments:

I agree. I have read gone with the wind several times and i love the way it also explains alot about each character. also i read the memory keepers daughter recently and was so disappointed by the movie and how much it left out.

BTW this is PrincessCyndi from twitter :)

Post a Comment