...Ponderings...

My thoughts on life, love, family, friends, and God.

Taking a queue from my dad, I’m going to start blogging some amusing stories about my life. Unlike my dad’s life, which is akin to a good ol' family film, my life is a sitcom.

Things happen in my life that are just so insane that they just have to be true! It really doesn’t help that I was that kid your mother warned you about. I was your average tomboy, scraped knees, skinned elbows but never any serious injuries. Actually, I am not really sure how I survived my childhood! Angels were certainly watching me.

Every kid wanted to be Mary Poppins, right? I mean we all dreamed of flying up into the sunset with our umbrellas, happy and content. But I am pretty sure I was the only kid brave (and stupid) enough to actually attempt this feat.

When I was a kid, we lived pretty close to my school, Tolson Elementary. It was a place I spent a lot of happy days playing on the jungle gym or hopping across the monkey bars. It was close enough that mom would often take us there to play even when school was out.

One thing that really stands out to me from my childhood is this table and chair set we had. It was this really ugly little white, metal thing and some really uncomfortable chairs. We spent many happy days having “picnics” with that set. The table had come with a huge white and lemon yellow umbrella.

One day, I think I must have been about 7 or 8 years old, I got the notion in my head to bring the umbrella with me to the school when mom took us to play. I’m not really sure why my mother didn’t stop me from bringing it. I guess she never imagined what I had in mind.

When we got to the playground, I scurried right up to the highest point. It was probably about 6 feet high. I’d brought the umbrella up with me. I’m sure at this point, my mom was starting to catch on to what I planned to do. Still she didn’t stop me.

I popped open the umbrella and shouted for her. As she turned, I jumped and went sailing happily to the ground. I don’t think my mom ever laughs quite so hard to this day thinking of any other story from my childhood.

0 comments:

Post a Comment